This post describes how to create an Azure Function in Python using VS
Code. Below are steps to create an
Azure function from scratch using VS Code.
Step 1: Create folder for project.
Step 2: Open VS code and navigate to Extensions.
Step 3: In Extensions, search for azure functions.
Step 4: Select install to install the extension for VS Code.
Step 5: After installation, select the Azure icon.
Step 6: Click on Sign in to Azure. It launches a browser window, use Azure
credentials to Sign in.
Step 7: Click on create Project and select folder created in Step
Step 8: Choose following options:
- Select a language: Python
- Select a Python interpreter to create a virtual environment: Select the default
- Select a template for your project's first function: HTTP Trigger
- Provide a function name: Enter any function name
- Authorization Level: Anonymous (Anonymous for the demo purpose, choose proper
as per your requirement)
- Select how you would like to open your project: Open in current window
Step 9: Click on Azure icon
Step 10: Click on Deploy to function app and select Create new
App in Azure.
Step 11: Enter a globally unique name for the function app and press "Enter".
Step 12: Select "Python 3.9" as runtime stack.
Step 13: Select any location for new resources e.g "East US", "East US2".
Step 14: Deployment takes couple of minutes, once deployment is complete login to
Step 15: Search for Function App and select the newly created function app.
Step 16: From the Function App blade, select Functions and click on recently
Step 17: Click on Get Function Url and copy the url.
Step 18: Open the url in browser you should se below output.